Class Time: 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM EST
9/12/2023 - Facilities Construction Estimating & RSMeans Online Training
Upgrading existing, often occupied, buildings can pose difficult estimating problems. Complete plans and specifications are rarely available. And yet you are expected to produce a realistic estimate. Learn the correct methodology for generating accurate, reliable project costs using both unit price and assemblies methods. On Day three, take a hands-on approach using our state-of-the-art estimating software, RSMeans Data Online, for more efficient project estimating.
Class Time: 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM EST
- Learn how to identify potential problems and provide estimating solutions to building alterations.
- Receive step-by-step procedures for factoring in minimum labor costs, accurate productivity estimates and allowances for typical project contingencies.
- Understand estimating considerations such as project size, labor hours, building code compliance and purchasing materials in smaller quantities.
- Learn where direct and indirect costs come from and how they can be applied in specific situations.
- Understand how to quickly and accurately navigate the layout of RSMeans datasets and publications.
- If you are new to RSMeans Data Online, you will come away with the skills you need to start using it for faster, more efficient project estimating.
- Seasoned RSMeans Data Online users will refine their skills, master techniques that can save time and boost accuracy by avoiding calculation errors and tedious math.
- Get up to speed with advanced functionalities, such as creating custom/tailored pricing and flexible estimating reports.
What Will Be Covered
- How the data is built and where to find specific information
- The estimating process and the importance of each process step
- Renovation estimating challenges and how to avoid common errors that defeat an estimate
- How to close the gap between the budget estimate and the contractor’s bid
- How context and process scopes affect the estimates
- Evaluation of the structure, defining the start and finish of the scope
- Overhead costs for a construction company and development of contractors’ billing rates
- Unit price renovation estimates – job orientation, sources of cost information and pricing the estimate
- Using and modifying assemblies for renovation estimating
- Get started with RSMeans Data Online
- Utilize the Search Cost Data reference tool to view your available datasets
- Choose from different cost data preferences to fully tailor your estimate as needed
- Access and make the most of the number of reference materials and online tools made available to you within the program (e.g. How-to-Use RSMeans City Cost Index, RSMeans Construction Dictionary, RSMeans Crews, etc.)
- Become proficient with customization tools to integrate your cost data, create custom cost lines, modify labor and equipment rates and set custom mark-ups
- Learn how to generate basic and advanced reports, plus how to export your estimates to MS Excel
- Preview of the powerful Life Cycle Cost Estimator tool
Materials Included (Received on on-site on the first day of training)
- Latest edition of Facilities Construction Costs with RSMeans data Cost Book
- Facilities Estimating Workbook
- RSMeans Online Workbook
- Short term access to RSMeans Data Online via training account
Who Should Attend
- Facility managers, plant engineers, architects, contractors, estimators, builders and others concerned with proper preparation and/or evaluation of renovation estimates
- New or experiences users of RSMeans Data Online
Continuing Education Credit Eligibility
Approved for Continuing Education Units by the Association for the Advancement of Cost Engineering (AACE) International Certification Board Continuing Education Units:
AACE: 19 hours, 1.9 CEU’s
Lodging & Travel
Registration for this seminar does not include travel or accommodations. Continental breakfast, lunch and refreshments will be provided each day.
Breakfast, dinner, lodging, airfare and transportation to and from the venue are the responsibility of the student. Attendees will receive a discounted room rate of $270/night if they make a reservation with the host hotel (Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria) by August 12th, 2023. Mention RSMeans data Training at time of reservation.