7/25/2023 - Construction Cost Estimating + Facilities Construction Estimating
Today’s construction professional, whether a project manager or designer, has more responsibilities than ever before. In this increasingly cost-conscious industry, the professional is being asked to explore more cost-effective options in order to keep costs to a minimum. Therefore, one needs good estimating skills.
Upgrading existing, often occupied, buildings can pose difficult estimating problems. Complete plans and specifications are rarely available. And yet you are expected to produce a realistic estimate. Learn the correct methodology for generating accurate, reliable project costs using both unit price and assemblies methods. On Day three, take a hands-on approach using our state-of-the-art estimating software, RSMeans Data Online, for more efficient project estimating.
- Learn how to use the plans and specifications to create the estimate. Learn what information can be expected from each document and how it is applied.
- The Takeoff process - Learn how to derive all of the tasks in the correct quantities, which is essential for a professional estimate.
- Develop pricing using various pricing sources, and understand how subcontractor pricing fits in.
- Creating, reviewing, recapping, and summarizing estimates.
- Evaluating subcontractors’ proposals and prices.
- Adding insurances on the work, the employees, and bonding.
- Understand how labor costs are calculated, along with regular and premium wages.
- The estimate is the in-house portion of the work for drafting a proposal or submitting a bid.
- Learn how to identify potential problems and provide estimating solutions to building alterations.
- Receive step-by-step procedures for factoring in minimum labor costs, accurate productivity estimates and allowances for typical project contingencies.
- Understand estimating considerations such as project size, labor hours, building code compliance and purchasing materials in smaller quantities.
- Learn where direct and indirect costs come from and how they can be applied in specific situations.
What Will Be Covered
- This class starts with the details of interpreting bid documents and ends with the summary of the estimate and the submission of the bid
- The estimating process and the importance of each process step
- The value of the Reference Section
- Renovation estimating challenges and how to avoid common errors that defeat an estimate
- How to close the gap between the budget estimate and the contractor’s bid
- How context and process scopes affect the estimates
- Evaluation of the structure, defining the start and finish of the scope
- Overhead costs for a construction company and development of contractors’ billing rates
- Unit price renovation estimates – job orientation, sources of cost information and pricing the estimate
- Using and modifying assemblies for renovation estimating
Materials Included (Received on-site on the first day of training)
- Latest edition of Facilities Construction Costs with RSMeans data Cost Book
- Facilities Estimating Workbook
- Estimating Building Costs
- Construction Cost Estimating Concepts and Practices Workbook
Who Should Attend
Facility managers, plant engineers, architects, contractors, estimators, builders and others concerned with proper preparation and/or evaluation of renovation estimates.
Continuing Education Credit Eligibility
Approved for Continuing Education Units by the Association for the Advancement of Cost Engineering (AACE) International Certification Board Continuing Education Units:
AACE: 21 hours, 2.1 CEU’s
Lodging & Travel
Registration for this seminar does not include travel or accommodations.
Dinner, lodging, airfare and transportation to and from the venue are the responsibility of the student. A complimentary full buffet and cooked-to-order breakfast will be available for hotel guests before class starts. Refreshments will be provided throughout the day. The hotel is offering attendees a discounted room rate of $159/night if they book prior to July 3rd, 2023 and mention "Gordian RSMeans Training" event name during booking.