Today’s business professionals are being spread very thin; instead of focusing on one area of expertise, management now requires that you wear multiple hats. As a result, new areas of understanding are required to manage a company. In this increasingly cost-conscious industry the professional is being asked to keep costs down and assume more responsibility, which has resulted in the need for a broader knowledge base.
This class begins with the details of building systems that are the staple of the industry. Starting from the ground up we analyze the basic components, materials, and techniques that comprise the buildings we see every day. This class also explains “why” the industry uses these systems.
The second part of the course explains the various steps involved in construction: design, bidding, contracts, administration, changes, schedules, and measuring performance. The process will be discussed from project inception to project closeout and everything in between. The class is not intended to be an in depth engineering analysis, but a focused overview.
A sample of what you'll learn
The Gordian Group (TGG) reserves all rights to refuse or deny any individual's attendance at, or participation in, its seminars for any reason whatsoever, including without limitation as a result of the individual's affiliation or suspected affiliation with any competitor of TGG. If TGG determines that an individual should not attend or participate in a seminar after such individual has paid to attend or participate in the seminar, the individual's payment will be refunded.
- Sitework and Building Foundations: Learn what is involved in preparing the site for a new structure, and how concrete and steel are used together.
- Exterior Closure and Structure: Learn how structures carry loads to the ground and how buildings are made watertight and energy efficient.
- Mechanical Systems: Learn how each mechanical system—Fire Suppression, HVAC, and Plumbing—makes the structure safe and usable.
- Electrical Systems: Understand the various electrical systems of a building, how power and lighting are controlled, and the integration of communication systems within the structure.
- Design and Bidding Process: Review the most common design processes and how projects are bid and contractors are selected.
- Contracts and Change Orders: Explore the various types of contracts and how contract modifications are managed.
- Schedules: Learn how performance is measured from both time and cost perspectives.
- Administrative: Understand how the day-to-day administrative tasks and communications are handled. These include RFIs, Submittals, and Applications for Payment.
- Project Closeout: Learn the correct procedure for closing out projects and sharing the lessons learned on the project.
Other seminars in WASHINGTON, DC
Taught by the estimating and engineering experts of RSMeans, Construction Cost Estimating: Concepts and Practice is designed to improve the estimating skills and effectiveness of the professional and help...
This seminar will be valuable to anyone who is faced with the task of assessing the scope of work for estimating purposes on renovation- and maintenance-type projects at all stages of the design process. This practical two-day training class addresses the vital importance of understanding the sco...
Combining hands-on skill-building with a discussion of best estimating practices and real-life problems, this informative two day mini-course will boost your estimating skills, bring you up-to-date with key concepts, and provide tips, pointers and guidelines that can save facility managers, archi...