Less than half of construction firms are still in business after four years. Make sure your company thrives with essential – and very readable – guidance from a pro with 25 years’ success. Find out what it takes to build all aspects of a business that’s profitable, enjoyable, and enduring.
Here are just a few of the things you’ll learn from this book:
- The duties of the owner of a successful construction business
- Essential terms and conditions to include and exclude in contracts
- Commandments to follow to ensure you’re paid what you're owed, including step-by-step change-order procedures to avoid disputes and non-payment
- Strict dos and don'ts of mechanics’ liens – including when an owner goes bankrupt
- What must be done administratively before breaking ground on every project
- How to select, hire, and keep “golden” employees
- Effective marketing even the smallest contractor can afford
- How to identify the accountants, lawyers, and insurance agents that are right for you
- The what, when, where, and why of licensing and registration
- The advantages of specializing, including the opportunities in chain store construction
Whether you’re a contractor, a key employee, a subcontractor, a student, or a facility executive, you’ll find many ideas you can immediately add to your management and leadership toolbox. Adopting even a single one of them will pay dividends now and throughout your career.